The NANONIZER® represents the next generation of Fluid JetMill.
It is an important technological innovation as well as the right tool for the future production of nanoparticles in nanosize powders.

This unit is based on the Spiral JetMill principle dated more than 80 years as the first application were made in USA in the 1930 and De Laval Nozzle developed about 100 years ago.

After the 1950 until the 2000 the spiral JetMill was frequently updated, by the Americans, the European and Asian manufactures/users of this technology. Thanks to these updates up to now this technology achieved an high standard level of micronization.
Each manufacturer has particular and tailored solutions, but all spiral JetMills are similars.

Nowadays the industry and the market require for nanoparticles achievement in a pragmatic way.

The Spiral Fluid JetMill is basically a technology able to reduce the particle size without an invasive impact on the product structure and characteristics as this process has no heating generation, no mechanic parts, no solvents, no chemical reactions, no product dispersion or dissolution.

This process work at constant temperature and this aspect represents an advantage for the production of nanoparticles.

It must be considerate that the specific energy balance by a conventional JetMill is about 20% for the particles acceleration and size reduction and the remaining 80% is lost as is not used to create particle size reduction or classify fines particle, but is transformed in other effects like sound, statics and over flows.

The NANONIZER® represents the next generation of Fluid JetMill achieving a specific energy (balance) yield of 50%. This performance is the result of 27 years of experience associated at the deep knowledge of the JetMilling process.

This technological innovation is conceived to answer the actual requirement of the market. Thanks to the advanced integrated solutions with the NANONIZER® it is possible to achieve PSD of 10-500 çm (nanometers).

Nowadays the nanotech world asks for a friendly user process to approach the R&D and the production scale.

The NANONIZER® utilize a single volumetric injector or multiple injectors to feed the product into the (first) grinding sector were is accelerated by jet streams at the periphery. These jets are created by specific convergent/divergent De Laval Nozzles.

One of the difference between the NANONIZER® and the conventional micronizer is that is provided by a multi spiral & feed back effect in the grinding area.

The nanonization is created by the collisions of the product particles conveyed into the first grinding spiral, against the rotational jet streams and accelerated particles.

The particles which are still to coarse are keept into the first grinding spiral by their mass and centriforce, whereas particles which are fine enough are free to move into the center of the grinding chamber (by their low mass/speed and centr

iforce) and to leave the grinding chamber trough the outlet static classifier.

All particles which are still too coarse and conveyed into turbulences and low speed/energy collisions are drawn back into another spiral stage created by special nozzles jet streams/flows.

This technology is called IPVG (InProcessVariableGeometry), developed in the 2010 by Piero M. Laiso.

The Nozzles in use for the IPVG tech are De laval transonic/ultrasonic Nozzles. The nanonized product can be recovered and collected in dry-phase or just in case putted in the final liquid suspension at the end of the process in order to increase the PSD stability.

The product collecting point is located at the lower part of a multi-stage supersonic cyclone.
This cyclone is provided by re-circulation flows in order to create partial closed loop, a multifilament filter gel and and Ulpa cartridge filter are made to detect and separate the exhaust process gas from the last 10% of nanoparticles in flow suspension. The NANONIZER® is the most favorable method to produce nano-products.

Technical data of the R&D scale çanonizer, çano1:

The pilot scale çano2 (2"-5"), and production units çano3 (3"-7"), çano4(4"-9") and çano5 (5"-12") nanonizers are also available.


Piero M. Laiso, CEO
Via Molinazzo 10,
PO Box 317
6906 LUGANO,
+41 78 6709480 / +41 76 5580560 /

Activity list from 1985 untill 2012 of Piero M. Laiso is available.

Download my activity list